What Are The Health Benefits Of Pistachios?
There is no denying the fact that pistachios are extremely loved. After all, there is a reason why people have been consuming this nut since 7000 BC. Yes, you read that right.
Technically, pistachios are fruits as these are edible seeds of the tree called pistacia vera. Whether you devour them in the form of snacks, garnish them over a dessert, or mix them with other dry fruits – these goodies can mix well with anything quite well.
Not only are they scrumptious but carry innumerable health benefits as well. Let’s get to know some of these. Shall we?
1. Lose Those Extra Kilos With Pistachios
Although pistachios are one of the most energy-dense nuts, they can still help you lose weight. If you consult any nutritionist, you will get to know that these nuts are rich in protein and fibre, which most of the times, help you feel full. You end up NOT overeating in your next meal. Another fact that makes them proficient in weight loss is that their fat content is not fully absorbent.
Nutritionists say that the fat content of pistachios gets stuck within or around the walls of cells, hence, it does not allow gut to absorb the fat. Interesting, isn’t it?
Vinita Kochhar of Fitness Vs Weight Loss has dedicated an entire post to how pistachios can help lose weight.
And then, there are food bloggers who have curated scrumptious recipes using pistachios. One such internationally famed blogger is Thasneen. Check out her recipe of Pistachio Cream Shots with Biscotti.
For Pistachio Cream Shots
- Milk - 250 ml
- Egg yolks - 3
- Corn flour - 30 g
- Caster sugar - 80 g
- Pistachios - 40 g
- Double cream - 100 ml
- Pistachios - 60 g
- Butter - 40 g
- Egg - 1
- Caster sugar - 65 g
- Vanilla extract - ⅓ teaspoon
- All purpose flour - 150 g
- Baking powder - ⅓ teaspoon
- Salt - a pinch
- Sugar shards or chopped pistachios
- Fill up water in a microwave bowl, add pistachios into it, and place it in the microwave for approx 5 mins.
- Pour cold water on them and take off their skin. Grind them and make paste.
- Take a saucepan and put milk, cream, and pistachio paste into it. Put it on low flame.
- Take a bowl and add caster sugar, egg yolks, and corn flour.
- When the saucepan liquid is boiled, put egg yolk mixture into it and whisk gradually. Continue heating until the mixture becomes thick.
- Put the mixture in another bowl and let it cool in the fridge.
- To prepare biscotti, preheat the oven at 175 Celsius. Take a baking tray, spread peeled pistachios on them, and roast for 10 mins.
- Take a mixing bowl and add butter, vanilla extract, sugar, and egg into it. Beat the batter. Add roasted pistachios and flour. Mix and make a dough.
- Sprinkle flour on a surface, place the dough on it and cut it into log shape. Place it on a baking tray and bake for 30-35 mins.
- Cool the log and cut it into diagonal pieces with ½ inch of thickness.
- Bake them again.
- Let them cool. Place them into glass shots, fill them with pistachio cream, garnish with chopped pistachios or sugar shards, and serve with biscotti.
2. Make Your Heart Healthy With Pistachios
Another amazing benefit that pistachios have is that they leave a positive impact on our heart health. According to proven research, pistachios, if consumed on a regular basis, can decrease the bad cholesterol level in our body. Not just that, pistachios also contain essential antioxidants and unsaturated fatty acids, which further help in transforming the heart into a healthy one.
Some of the best bloggers of India vouch for this quality of pistachios. To give you an example, Vineetha has listed down some amazing advantages of pistachios in her blog, keeping the impact of pistachios on heart in mind.
Looking for another lip-smacking pistachio recipe? Well-known food-blogger Kankana has something delicious to share with you. Take a look at her Malai Pista Kulfi.
- Milk - 2 cup
- Condensed milk - 1 cup
- Heavy cream - 1 cup
- Grinded and powdered pistachio - ¼ cup
- Rice flour - ¼ cup
- Take a bowl, add rice flour, pistachio powder and 3 tbsp of milk.
- Whisk it until there are no lumps. Keep the bowl aside.
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan and keep it on high flame. Pour milk, heavy cream, and condensed milk into it. Whisk until the milk boils. Lower the heat and whisk for 10 minutes.
- Pour rice flour and pistachio mixture into it. Whisk for 3 minutes.
- Take kulfi moulds and pour the mixture into them. Place the moulds in the freezer and leave for 4 hours.
- Dip the mould in warm water, take the creamsicles out, and serve.
3. Balance Your Diabetes With Pistachios
Pistachios help control diabetes. Those who are dealing with the ailment would definitely know the struggle of consuming sugar. Sugar, along with some other proteins, make unusual bonds – which eventually lead to major health issues. However, pistachios carry several antioxidants that keep the sugar level balanced and help keeping diabetes in control.
If you have a sweet-tooth, you can surely experiment and make several delicious desserts using this nut. Mallika Basu, a blogger with delicious recipes in her kitty, has a scrumptious recipe of Pistachio and Cardamom Brownies for you. Try it out.
- Butter - 150 g
- Dark chocolate - 225 g
- Deseeded cardamom pods - 10
- Free range eggs - 2
- Caster sugar - 225 g
- Whole vanilla - 1 inch
- Self raising flour - 75 g
- Pistachio nuts - 100 g
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Break pieces of chocolate in a bowl and mix butter in it.
- Heat on a medium flame until they are melted and there is no lump.
- Crush whole vanilla and cardamom in a grinder.
- Add them in the chocolate bowl and mix until everything becomes smooth.
- Beat the egg, add them into the chocolate. Add sugar and stir accordingly.
- Fold the batter in the flour and the peeled nuts of pistachio.
- If you are using shelled nuts, add a pinch of salt to it.
- Take a square/rectangular baking dish
- Tip the batter into it, place it in the microwave, and bake for at least 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool in a refrigerator for two hours.
- Cut rectangular pieces and serve with ice cream.
4. Keep Nervous System In Check
Pistachios are generally rich in vitamin B6, which is quite advantageous for the nervous system. Amines – the messaging molecules – are present in the nervous system. To develop these molecules, vitamin B6 is necessary. These nuts help in adequate transmission of nerve impulses and help in building required amino acids. Amazing, isn’t it?
We want you to make pistachios an important part of your staple diet. We’ve brought you another recipe straight from the blog of Madhuram. Check out how you can make eggless Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies at home.
- Softened butter - 1 or ½ cups
- White sugar - ½ cup
- Maple syrup - ¼ cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
- Whole wheat pastry flour - 3 cups
- Salt - ½ teaspoon
- Dried cranberries - 1 cup
- Toasted pistachios - 1 cup
- butter – solidified coconut oil or vegan butter
- maple syrup – honey
- vanilla extract – maple extract
- whole wheat pastry flour – white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- dried cranberries – any other dried fruit of your choice
- Beat sugar, maple syrup, and butter together.
- Add salt and flour into it. Mix well.
- Add pistachios and cranberries into it. Stir well.
- Make log-shaped doughs. Wrap the doughs with plastic wrap and place them in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the microwave at 180 C for 15 mins. Place baking sheets along with parchment paper. Cut the logs into ½ - ¼ inch slices and put them on baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Let the sheets cool down. Remove the cookies and let them cool down. Serve your guests.
5. Make Your Brain Healthy
Last but not the least, the vitamin B6 present in pistachios helps in elevating the haemoglobin count in the blood. Once the blood gets rich in oxygen due to vitamin B6, it then makes the brain even more active to perform different functions efficiently.
If you are still facing difficulty feeding your children pistachios, here’s a delicious recipe of Chocolate Pistachio Rolls by Pavani to entice them.
- Grated khoya - 3 cups
- Sugar - ¾ cups
- Rose water - 1 tsp
- Cocoa powder - 1-2 tsp
- Chopped pistachio - 2-3 tbsp
- Take a nonstick pan. Add sugar and khoya and place it on medium flame. Stir until the sugar dissolves for about 6-8 mins.
- Leave the mixture to cool. Add rose essence and mix.
- Divide the mixture into two halves. Add cocoa powder in one and add pistachios & the khoya mixture in the other half.
- Now, put cocoa mixture into three parts and roll them into rectangle shape.
- Divide the pistachio mixture into three parts and give them the shape of a roll
- Place pistachio roll on the chocolate rectangle and roll them up. Make sure there are no cracks. Wrap them with plastic wrap and place them in the fridge for 15 mins.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Slice the rolls into pieces and serve.
With an abundance of benefits of pistachios, there is every reason to add these nuts to your daily diet, isn’t it? Be it morning or in the evening, there is no specific time to consume the dry fruits. So, what are you waiting for? Order your pack of pistachios right away and gift your loved ones something healthy yet delicious to munch on.
Did you like this story? Want to share your feedback/appreciation/criticism? Please feel free to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
Subscribe today to receive our weekly updates on special discounts, mouthwatering deals, new arrivals, unique products, popular brands, and much more.