Rajma Masala Recipe
“I can’t make everyone happy, I am not rajma.” I read it somewhere long time back and agreed every bit with this. This is definitely the most loved pulse in India. And honestly, it is my favourite too. It is unbelievable how these hard beans become so soft and utterly delicious upon being cooked.
Rajma aka red kidney beans are the first name on everyone’s mind when a party is to be hosted. Because rest assured, it surely brings a smile on every face. Be it a toddler who has just started eating, a child, an adult, or an oldie, everyone loves to dig into rajma rice. Oh yes, the best way to relish this delicacy is with your bare hands.
However, there are many who do make delicious rajma but something somewhere goes missing and it is not just how you wanted it to be. No worries. We are here to share with you the perfect and easy-to-follow rajma masala recipe.
Why the wait then?
Pre time - 30 minutes plus soaking
Serves - 3-4
- Rajma - 1 cup
- Bay leaf - 1
- Black cardamom - 1
- Cinnamon stick - ½ - 1 inch
- Cumin seeds aka jeera - ½ tsp
- Crushed ginger - ½ inch
- Finely chopped garlic - 5-6
- Onion - 2 medium sized
- Tomatoes - 2 medium sized
- Green chilli - 1 cut lengthwise
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Fresh cream - ¼ cup
- Oil - 2 tbsps
- 1½ tsp rajma masala
- Salt to taste
Rajma masala easy recipe
- Thoroughly clean the beans and soak overnight.
- Drain the water. Don't throw the water. Keep it for later use. Transfer rajma into a cooker. Add water and salt and boil for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a cooker/kadhai. Once hot, add cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cardamom, and cumin seeds. Keep stirring for 30 seconds.
- Now add chopped onions to this. Saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Add green chilli, garlic, and ginger. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes to this mix.
- Saute for 4-5 minutes. Then add coriander, rajma masala, and red chilli powder. Again saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the boiled rajma to this kadhai.
- Add the water you drained in step 2 to the kadhai. If you think more is required, add more.
- Use a sturdy spatula to crush the beans. Not all, just some. It gives a good texture and thickens the gravy.
- Cover this with a lid and put it on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, add cream, stir, and cover back.
- Turn off the gas in 3-4 minutes. Do not open. Let it stay covered for 10 minutes.
And yes, your rajma masala is finally ready – to be indulged in with hot and steaming rice. Don’t forget to garnish it with fresh, finely chopped coriander. I told you, my rajma masala recipe would be simple and straight.
Add a spoon of ghee aka clarified butter while serving. Oh, it is ok to let off the dieting routine once in a while. You can relish this king of pulses with chapati or paratha as well. I remember someone drying off the leftover rajma from the previous day to make it perfect to be stuffed in a sandwich. And grilled it on a tawa and trust me, it tasted heavenly.
Have you tried the sweet mango chutney with rajma rice? No? No way!
Here is a simple sweet mango chutney recipe for you all. Try it out now. And see how it enhances the deliciousness of each bite of your favourite rajma chawal.
Did you like this story? Want to share your feedback/appreciation/criticism? Please feel free to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
Subscribe today to receive our weekly updates on special discounts, mouthwatering deals, new arrivals, unique products, popular brands, and much more.