Mango Pickle Recipe
If you are a pickle lover, you must have an affinity for homemade achar. Tasty aam ka achar will tickle your taste buds and make you remember your childhood days. We cannot forget when we used to take paranthas with mango pickle in our tiffin box. Feeling nostalgic? So are we. Why not recreate the same magic for kids and indulge yourself by making mango pickle this season?
Did you know that the process of making pickles dates back to around 4000 years? When refrigeration was not possible, pickles were the only way to preserve yields that were limited by nature or seasons.
Mango pickle is a spicy and tangy condiment. Almost every Indian household has their own recipes for various kinds of pickles. When we travel, the favourite dish which we carry along is none other than puri and achar. We know you all will agree to this, right?
Mango pickles are not only rich in taste, but high in health too. They help rejuvenate the inner organs as they contain antioxidants. Nutrition that you get from mangoes is embedded in this fruity, zesty pickle.
So why not try preparing the delish achar yourself with a signature recipe which never fails? Season of mangoes is back and let's grab a few of them for pickling and enjoy their flavour for a longer time.
Here is the recipe (makes 12 oz. pickle). Read on.
- Raw mango (2 ½ cup cubed mango) – 1 (large)
- Salt- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powders- ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powders- 1 ½ tsps
- Crushed coriander seeds- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds - 1 tbsp
- Kalonji - 1 tsp
- Mustard oil - 2 tbsps
Mango pickle easy recipe
- Wash and dry the raw mango. Cut into small and even cubes without peeling them
- Put the mango in a large bowl. Add salt and mix it well
- Keep it aside for three to four hours. You will notice there will be some salt water. Squeeze the mangoes and save the water
- Spread the slices of mango on a dried surface and let them dry for three to four hours (preferably in sunlight)
- By the time mangoes are dry but a little moist, you will also notice reduction in their quantity
- Take the saved water and add all the spices
- Mix the spices mentioned above, water, and oil to the mango slices
- Store the mango pickle in glass jar with lid open. Your pickle is ready in five to seven days
- Enjoy the delicious pickle, marinated with spices. Serve with puri or paranthas
- If you are short of time, you can add pickle masala readily available. It is a good mix of chilli powder, refined mustard oil, mustard, fenugreek, turmeric, hing, and salt
- Pickle prepared will last for months
- Mangoes should be tight, not too soft and wrinkled
As soon as you see raw mangoes hitting the market, immediately buy and indulge yourself in making mouth-watering pickle. Even if you are new to cooking, the above recipe is easy to be followed and the result will be a delicious and finger-licking pickle.
But do remember to consume pickles in a moderate manner.
If you are pickle lover and keen to learn more pickle recipes, read here to know more!
Did you like this story? Want to share your feedback/appreciation/criticism? Please feel free to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
Subscribe today to receive our weekly updates on special discounts, mouthwatering deals, new arrivals, unique products, popular brands, and much more.