Dabeli – a popular Indian street food – does not require any introduction. It is a spicy potato mixture coupled with onions, meethi chutney, masala peanuts, garlic chutney, and fruits such as pomegranates and grapes. Do you know that dabeli is a Gujarati term? The spicy snack originated in Kutch. It is usually served as an evening snack or during get togethers.
Dabeli can be prepared in a jiffy. It is a blessing when guests come over at your place. The dabeli stuffing can be made before and remains fresh for hours. The chutney used also has a good shelf life; so dabeli can be curated within a few minutes. Moreover, dabeli masala is readily available nowadays – which can give you the feel of homemade masala and save your time too. Isn’t it quick?
So, are you keen to know about the recipe of dabeli? Here we go!
- Dabeli masala - 1 tbsp (readily available)
- Meethi chutney - 2 tbsps
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Boiled, peeled, mashed potatoes - 1 ¼ cups
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut - 2 tbsps
- Finely chopped coriander - 2 tbsps
- Fresh pomegranate - 2 tbsps
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Chat masala - ½ tsp
For red garlic chutney
- Dried red chillies - 20
- Hot water - 1 cup
- Garlic - 3 cloves (medium size)
- Salt to taste
- Dabeli pav - 4
- Red garlic chutney - 4 tsps
- Meethi chutney- 2 tbsps
- Chopped onions- 3 tsps
- Masala peanuts – 4 tsps (readily available)
- Nylon sev- 3 tsps
- Butter- 2 tbsps (for cooking)
Dabeli quick recipe
For garlic chutney
- Add hot water to dried red chillies. Cover them with a lid and keep aside for 30 minutes
- Transfer the red chillies with water to a grinder
- Add the garlic and salt
- Grind the ingredients to make a smooth paste
- Transfer the smooth chutney to a bowl. Red chilli garlic chutney is ready
- Add the dabeli masala, meethi chutney, and one tbsp water in a bowl and mix well
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Add the prepared dabeli masala mixture and still it well. Stir it continuously for one to two minutes
- Add the mashed potatoes, garam masala, chaat masala, little water, and salt. Mix it well on a medium flame for about three to four minutes. Keep stirring
- Turn off the flame and transfer the contents to another plate. Press well with the spoon and keep aside
- Sprinkle fresh coriander leaves, grated coconut, and pomegranate on top
Method to assemble the dabeli
- Keep red garlic chutney, meethi chutney, potato stuffing, masala peanuts, pav, and nylon sev ready
- Slice a pav so that you can flip it open. Apply some garlic chutney on both sides
- Apply a spoonful of stuffed potato masala
- Add some peanuts, one tsp of onion, and sev to the dabeli
- Seal the peanuts within, adding some more potato masala to the dabeli
- Close the pav gently
- Brush the griddle with little butter and toast the dabeli until it is crispy on both sides. Repeat the same procedure for the remaining pav
- Your dabeli is ready to eat. Serve hot. Enjoy!
After reading the quick recipe of dabeli, we are sure that you would want to try your hands on the delectable snack. Yes, try it now and recreate the street food experience at your home.
And if you love experimenting at home, we would suggest you to try recipes made from mango as well. Check out the various delicious avatars of your favourite fruit!
Did you like this story? Want to share your feedback/appreciation/criticism? Please feel free to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
Subscribe today to receive our weekly updates on special discounts, mouthwatering deals, new arrivals, unique products, popular brands, and much more.