10 Unique Alphonso Mango Recipes For An Exciting Summer
- Anisha Dutta (Assistant Manager, SaleBhai)
Summer or the oh-so-sweet mango season is finally here! And what are these tropical delights without their mango king - the delightful, fragrant, sunshine-yellow alphonso? When markets are crammed with creamy, delicious alphonsos for a short span, you cannot help but wish that their magic lasted throughout the year. Aah yes, wait. Hold on to that depressing thought for a moment. We, at SaleBhai, have bookmarked 10 of the most unique alphonso mango recipes to enable you to relish this fruity goodness even after the departure of mango season. While you are here, do not forget to use only the best of original Ratnagiri alphonsos in your menu. And, where to get them? Well, they are here at the click of a finger!
So, here we go:
This frozen milk-based Indian dessert is often synonymous with summer. The choicest puree that can be used here is the one derived from sweet alphonsos. For some interesting pointers about these luscious fruits, read our blog here.
- Cow's milk - 2.5 cups (250 ml cup)
- Mango puree - 2.5 cups
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Green cardamom (crushed) - 4/5
- Saffron - 1 pinch
- Pistachios - 12-15
- Almond paste - 2-3 tbsp
- Rice flour - 2.5-3 tbsp
Mango Kulfi Easy Recipe
- Heat saffron and milk in a shallow pan. Do not boil and allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes
- Add sugar and stir till it dissolves
- First mix the rice flour with 3 tablespoons of milk and then add it to the saffron milk. Keep stirring so that no lumps are formed
- Cook on a low flame, while stirring in between, till the mixture thickens
- Turn off the gas and add the almond paste, stir, and let the mixture cool
- Add the mango puree, chopped pistachio slices, and mix well
- Pour mango kulfi into serving bowls or kulfi moulds
- Freeze for 10 hours
- Serve chilled
2. Instant Mango Milkshake
If you are a fan of milk shakes, here is a mango recipe to concoct one within minutes. You can use a homemade concentrate for the same, by following the simple steps outlined here:
- Premium, big alphonso mangoes - 2-3 pieces
- Powdered sugar - 1-2 tbsp
Mango Milkshake Easy Recipe
- Peel and chop the mangoes, and blend to make a puree
- Pour it into a bowl, sprinkle a layer of sugar above it, and store it in your freezer
Whenever you crave for a mango shake next, scrape out a spoonful from this bowl, mix it with milk or yogurt, and enjoy a glass of chilled, delicious beverage!
3. Mango Preserve
Mango preserve is a traditional method to store the fruity pulp for a long time. You can have it as a side dish, spread, or in chewy and thick slices. If you wish to gain more knowledge on preserving mangoes, you can read this article on ifood.tv.
- Alphonso mangoes - 2-3 pieces
- Sugar - 2-3 cups (according to number of mangoes used, i.e 1:1 ratio)
- Citric acid - 1 g
- Metabisulphite - ½ tsp
Mango Preserve Easy Recipe
- Peel and cut the mangoes into small pieces
- Blend them with sugar in 1:1 ratio
- Let this mixture simmer in a vessel while you stir it to a golden-yellow thick texture
- Next, add one gram of citric acid along with half a teaspoon of metabisulphite
- Stir the mixture properly and bottle it up
Cherish the exotic essence of mangoes in this preserve until you get your fresh supply next season.
4. Chicken Supremes With Mango And Cream
In this recipe, we would recommend slightly harder, not fully ripe alphonso mangoes. We discovered this unique chicken-mango combo on the bookmarked list of Yotam Ottolenghi Series on the Guardian. For another one of his choicest dish, please check out this link.
- Small, with-skin chicken breasts - 4 pieces
- Sunflower oil - 3 tbsp
- White wine vinegar - 1 tbsp
- Brown mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- White pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Peeled and sliced medium mangoes - 2 nos.
- Medium banana shallots, peeled and finely chopped - 4 pieces
- English mustard powder - 1 tsp
- Thyme leaves - 5 g
- Bay leaves - 2 nos.
- Dry white wine - 150 ml
- Double cream - 150 ml
- Tarragon, roughly chopped - 15 g
Chicken Supreme With Mango & Cream Easy Recipe
- Put the chicken in a bowl with a tablespoon of oil, vinegar, half the mustard seeds, half a teaspoon of salt, and a quarter-teaspoon of pepper
- Mix and put in the fridge to marinate for an hour
- Place a non-stick pan on medium-high heat
- Add the remaining oil and when hot, put in the chicken pieces
- Fry for 12 minutes, until golden-brown on both sides and almost cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside
- Add the mango to the pan and fry for four minutes, stirring gently until caramelised on all sides. Transfer to another plate
- Lower the heat to medium and add the shallots
- Fry gently for six minutes, stirring from time to time, until soft and starting to colour. Add the remaining mustard seeds, mustard powder, thyme, bay, and a quarter-teaspoon each of salt and white pepper, and cook for a minute more
- Turn the heat to medium-high, add the wine and boil for a minute, then add the cream and 300ml water
- If your mangoes didn't start turning to mush during the initial cooking, return them to the pan now and boil for eight minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and reduced by a third. Otherwise, reduce the sauce first and only then add the mangoes
- Add the chicken, cover, and cook for three or so minutes, until cooked through
- Garnish with tarragon and serve at once
5. Frozen Mangoes
When you wish to devour mangoes with the original sweetness, then freezing them should be your first choice. The process is extremely effortless and does not require any technical sophistication.
- Mangoes - 4-5 nos.
Frozen Mango Easy Recipe
- Wash the mangoes, cut them into cubes, line them on a tray, and store them in your freezer
- You can now enjoy these lip-smacking chunks of ice-creamy essence for up to six months!
6. Mango Leather
What could be more delightful than some mouth-watering mango candies? All you need to do is select few fully ripe alphonso mangoes and slice them into small portions. Now, place them in a blender and mix properly to get a smooth puree. Spread this mashed pulp evenly over a parchment paper on a tray and bake at 175 degree F for around four hours. Once it is done, cut into strips, and wrap it in plastic or store in a sealed container. You can refrigerate mango leather for prolonged freshness. These sugarless treats can be munched anytime, anywhere and can last up to almost a year.
7. Mangoes In Sugar Syrup
Yet another marvellous way of preserving mangoes in all their freshness is to soak them in sugar syrup. You can prepare the syrup by merely letting sugar and water simmer in a saucepan for about 15 minutes. Make thin slices of your ripened mangoes, pack them in glass jars, and cover with the sugar syrup. This delicacy can last up to two months in your fridge and can be served as a delicious dessert after a sumptuous meal.
8. Mango Rabri
This simple mango recipe requires only a few basic ingredients, but tastes delicious. Try and taste this blissful dessert through these easy steps:
- Milk - 2-3 cups
- Chopped, peeled mangoes - 1 cup
- Sugar - as per taste
- Pistachios - 6
- Almonds - 4
- Cardamom powder - ¼ teaspoon
- Small strands saffron - 4
Mango Rabri Easy Recipe
- Soak almonds in hot water for 20 minutes
- Remove the skin and cut it into thin slices. Keep slivered almonds aside
- Chop pistachio into small pieces
- Soak saffron in half cup of warm milk.
- Puree the mango pieces in a blender with half cup milk
- Boil the remaining milk till it reduces to half the quantity
- Add sugar and let it dissolve. Remove from flame and let it cool
- After it cools, add mango puree, powdered cardamom, chopped pistachio, almonds, and saffron
- Refrigerate it and serve chilled
9. Mango Shrikhand
This popular Indian dessert is a favourite in Maharashtrian and Gujarati cuisine. A delectable variant of shrikhand in Maharashtra is amrakhand which is made from fresh mango pulp.
- Yogurt - 3 cups
- Pistachios - 2 tbsps
- Almonds - 4
- Sugar - as required
- Saffron - 10 strands
- Warm milk - 1 tbsp
- Mango puree - 1 cup
Mango Shrikhand Easy Recipe
- Place yogurt in a muslin cloth and hang it or 6-7 hours. Allow the whey to drain out. Place it in the fridge for 6 hours
- Soak pistachio and almonds in hot water for 10 minutes. Remove the skin and chop into small pieces
- Soak saffron in warm milk
- Remove yogurt from the refrigerator and mix it with powdered sugar
- Now add the soaked saffron, half of the chopped pistachios and almonds, mango puree, cardamom powder. Mix well
- Place it in the fridge for an hour
- Garnish with chopped pistachio, almonds, and mango pieces
- Serve chilled
10. Mango Phirni
This is yet another of our favourites that we found in this wonderful blog. Please check her out for more!
- Raw rice - 3 tbsps
- Milk - 4 cups
- Condensed milk - 1 cup
- Pistachios and almonds - 10-12 each
- Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
- Saffron, soaked in milk - 3-4 strands
- Mango puree - ½ cup
- Chopped, ripe alphonso mangoes - 2-3 nos
Mango Phirni Easy Recipe
- Soak rice for 30 minutes. Drain the water completely and grind it to a coarse paste. Dilute the paste with 1/4 cup of water and keep it ready
- Soak almonds and pistachio in hot water for 15 minutes and peel the skin. Slice it into thin strips
- Boil milk first. Once milk starts boiling, reduce the flame to low and add the ground rice paste
- Cook, while stirring continuously in low or medium flame until the milk thickens like porridge
- Add condensed milk, cardamom powder and cook for a few seconds until everything blends well. Turn off the flame. Allow it to cool. Refrigerate for an hour
- Remove from the refrigerator, add chopped nuts, mango puree, saffron, and chopped mangoes. Put it back into the refrigerator to chill further
- Garnish with chopped mangoes and nuts. Serve chilled
Well, these are some recipes that we really thought we should share. If you come up with some new, innovative creations, do not forget to let us know!
Did you like this story? Want to share your feedback/appreciation/criticism? Please feel free to leave your opinion in the comment section below.
Subscribe today to receive our weekly updates on special discounts, mouthwatering deals, new arrivals, unique products, popular brands, and much more.